The cave, which can be found on the Hárs-mountain, is mostly known because of its history. It is one of the few caves in Buda, which had a natural entrance, and were open in the past.
It was formed by thermal water, in triassic limestone, just under the sandstone layer, and contains mainly spherical cabins.
Before the ottoman wars, a hermit lived in the entrance room: Bátori László, who was working on a hungarian translation of the Holy Bible. This, and all of his work unfortunately was destroyed.
Later, the limonite-strike in the cave was mined, that is how the mine-section was formed, which means the most of the cave, and was enclosed later with a wall.
In the early 1900’s the entrance room was opened, and a shrine was built there.
After WW II., Vajna György started to research the cave with the help of a very enthusiastic team. They excavated all the debris, even blasted a new entrance for a tram and railways. They re-opened the previously enclosed mine-section.
The cave reached the currently discovered length, 360m, and 50m of depth.
Currently the blasted, second entrance with the railway is enclosed, and Guru speleological society is researching it. Some new sections were revealed which were strangely enclosed by previous cavers.
More information and map of the cave: termeszetvedelem.hu